Hello friends! This week we are going to explore the Adrenal Glands– two small organs that are often overlooked or never talked about. Perhaps this is why they can get so pooped out– because we often don’t acknowledge them and we stress them out (pun intended). Let’s take a look at what the Adrenal glands are responsible for, where they are located, and how you can rejuvenate or protect them.
The adrenal glands (also known as suprarenal glands) are endocrine glands that produce a variety of hormones including adrenaline and the steroids aldosterone and cortisol. These hormones help regulate your metabolism, immune system, blood pressure, response to stress, libido and other essential functions. They sit on top of the kidneys (which are also apart of our endocrine system).
When we experience physical or emotional stress, our adrenals go on over drive releasing cortisol or adrenaline into the body . If stress continues to accumulate or persist, the releasing of these hormones can throw the WHOLE body off and cause adrenal fatigue. If you experience adrenal fatigue, it may feel impossible to re-gain your energy back, to get a good nights sleep or to lose that extra weight that has been difficult to lose…it can also be the source of thyroid dysfunction as well. With a little bit of stress management, proper diet, and good herbs/supplements you can rejuvenate these vital organs and boost the health of your endocrine system and the WHOLE body.
Foods for Adrenal Glands
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Leafy greens
- Ghee (clarified butter)
- Grass-Fed Meat (if you’re not vegan/vegetarian)
Adrenal Gland Supplements
- Ashwagandha– Considered to be the the Indian ginseng, this ayurvedic herb (ancient Indian traditional medicine) is an adaptogen herb– meaning it helps our bodies adapt to stress or balance out the WHOLE body. It helps boost the immune system and soothes the nervous system allowing the stress levels to lower or balance out.
- Planetary Herbals Schisandra Adrenal Complex– This adrenal formula uses classic Chinese herbal medicine to help restore vitality to your adrenals.
- Vita Logic Adrenal Formula– This formula consists of herbs, bovine, and amino acids to help bring harmony to the adrenals. (not vegan/vegetarian)
- Pure Essence Adrenal Stability- This formula has cordyceps mushrooms, ashwagandha and more!
Incorporating a daily meditation practice or light exercise (strenuous exercise can be harsh if your adrenals are fatigued) can be HIGHLY beneficial to help restore the adrenals.
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.