It’s summer time– dessert and candy is everywhere! Wait, is that a thing? We don’t know BUT we thought it would be a good time to talk about a fungus that lives among us and LOVES sugar! It’s called Candida: you know, the stuff that causes vaginal yeast infections, thrush, rashes, and many many more not so fun things. We will just share some general info and supplements that deal in the realm of Candida because this subject can get lengthy and can seem off putting.
The goal here, is to inspire you to do MORE research. Find out more about it, because let us just tell you- it’s a thing. A thing that many of us unknowingly or knowingly deal with. But guess what- you have options, you do not have to just deal with it, you can address it, then lick that envelope, stamp it, and send it off!
First off, Candida is not all that bad. It is a naturally occurring fungus that tends to occur in small amounts in the mouth and intestines. Interestingly enough, it acts as a secondary digestive system– metabolizes/digests/breaks down the necrotic material (dead material) that our bodies come in contact with. However, such things as antibiotics, over the counter meds, processed foods, alcohol, sugar, lifestyle or stress can lead to an overgrowth of the fungus. This can lead to a wide variety of symptoms that are often times miss-diagnosed because it can mimic other health conditions.
Possible Symptoms (just to mention a few…)
- Bad breath
- White colored tongue
- Brain fog
- Itchy skin
- Loose bowels/digestion issues
- Intense craving for sugar
- Mood swings
- Vaginal itching/irritation
- Bad skin conditions (eczema, acne, rashes)
- Painful sex (vaginal irritation)
- Low or weakened immune system
- Frequent urinary tract infections
You can get a blood test checking for antibodies (immune cells that might show reactivity to candida) or a urine test to check for candida. If you know or if you suspect you may have a candida overgrowth there are many ways you can go about this journey. The idea would be to balance your system out. Diet is key. There are several different candida diets you can look up online and follow. They can be overwhelming so figure out what works best for you and stick to it. Balancing the health of your body does not happen over night and it takes a lot of courage and discipline. Sometimes it is better to concentrate on what foods are better to fight candida then AVOIDING foods that encourage candida growth like refined sugar or processed foods.
Compliment your diet with supplements to help you make it through the journey. There are Candida formulas that are great for helping minimize the overgrowth. Some include enzymes like Candex, that will help digest the candida and remove it. A high potency probiotic (50 Billion live cultures and above or Candida specific probiotic) will help restore your natural bacteria that can be low due to the overgrowth of candida. Compliment the probiotics with aloe juice or bone broth to help heal the gut first. Other supplements to consider:
- Garlic (candida formula)– Garlic is a powerful foe of candida since it can kill fungus as well as bacteria or viruses. This formula also contains ginger and enzymes that will help break down the candida to help with the removal process.
- Oregano Oil– Another powerful herbal anti-fungal that will help kill off the yeast (candida).
- Caprylic Acid– Naturally occurring in coconuts, this formula can help minimize candida or other fungus’ in the system.
- Pau d’arco– A bitter herb from South America that can be found in capsules or as a tea that works to fight fungus, bacteria and viruses.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract– This can be used for a wide arrange of ailments and can be highly effective in reducing candida in the body.
- Aloe Vera Juice– As mentioned above, aloe will help pave the way for food and supplements to absorb better. If your system is over loaded with candida you’ll need to do reparative work for the entire digestive track. Aloe helps strengthen the internal tissue which will improve the over all health of the body.
- Fiber– Adding MORE fiber to your diet, whether it be from food and/or a fiber supplement, will act as if you are brushing out the candida from your digestive tract. This will help if you experience any “die-off” symptoms from killing the candida.
There are many other supplements that can be effective in minimizing the over-growth of candida, these are just a few options. There are also supplements to help with the “die-off” symptoms from candida. Yes, unfortunately sometimes when you detox the system you may feel worse before you feel better (research “die-off” symptoms of candida to get more info and to prepare yourself properly for the possibilities of them). But the good news is that we are here for you, to help guide you along your unique journey– feel free to ask us questions!
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.