Let’s talk about tips to grow hair and to maintain healthy hair! Some of us experience hair loss at some point in our life and it is REALLY disturbing– especially when you are ALREADY stressed out. There are lots of reason we experience hair loss and there are lots of natural options to help with hair growth…
Reasons for Hair Loss
Hair loss can be due to different reasons: the journey is in discovering what could be the cause for your own hair loss. Here a a few things to consider why you may be experiencing this:
- Abnormal amount of stress (adrenal fatigue, due to continuous stress on the body, can sometimes cause the hair to fall out)
- Hormone imbalance
- Mineral/Vitamin deficiency
- Medications or Medical conditions
There are three natural routes you can take– food for healthy hair, supplements, and topical support.
Food For Healthy Hair Growth
- Pumpkin Seeds– These powerful seed contain high amounts of zinc, vitamin A and omegas– which all play a role in hair growth.
- Wild Caught Fish- Wild caught fish contain high amounts of Omega 3 like salmon. Omega 3s play a huge role in lowering inflammation in the body and promoting hair growth and hair thickening.
- Green Tea– This age old elixir can help with detoxification and may stop the conversion of testosterone into DHT (DHT is found in skin, hair follicles, and the prostate. The actions of DHT and the sensitivity of hair follicles to DHT is what can cause hair loss).
- Super seeds- Chia, flax and hemp seeds are high in fiber and healthy fats that can help aid hair growth.
- Bone Broth– This highly nutritious broth contains collagen, protein, and amino acids which can help increase hair growth and benefit the WHOLE body!
Supplements For Healthy Hair Growth
- Biotin– This B vitamin helps improve your body’s keratin infrastructure, which can help thicken hair. Try Biotin in a B-Complex to further increase beneficial effects for hair health.
- Collagen– Collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies. This nutrient can help increase or improve hair and nail growth, as well as help increase the health of your bones, joints, ligaments, and gut health. Take Vitamin C along with collagen to help increase the beneficial effects in the body.
- Silica- This trace mineral helps to strengthen your blood vessels and improve circulation, which can stimulate the blood flow to your scalp and encourage growth. It also is a necessary component of your skin’s connective tissues and helps to strengthen your bones, nails and hair. Horsetail is an herb that naturally contains silica.
- Saw Palmetto- This herb/berry is typically used to support the prostate– it is a natural DHT blocker, which can be a great two birds one stone method for men to help increase health of their prostate as well as help increase hair growth.
- Fish Oil- Omega 3’s help minimize inflammation in the body and can help increase hair health.
- Ashwagandha or Rhodiola– These adaptogen herbs help our bodies adapt to stress and can reduce cortisol levels– if you feel stress may be the culprit for your hair loss, these herbs may be beneficial to try.
- Zinc- If you have a zinc deficiency this could be a cause of hair loss. This trace element also helps improve your immune system and gut health.
- Hair, Skin, Nails Supplement Formulas- Try these formulas with a combination of some of the above ingredients for a synergistic effect:
- Rosemary Essential Oil– Rosemary is believed to increase cellular metabolism that stimulates hair growth. Combine three or four drops of each Rosemary, Sage, Lavender, Peppermint, mix them in a tablespoon of carrier oil and apply topically to help stimulate hair growth or thicken hair.
- Castor Oil– Putting Castor oil on the hair or scalp has been said to increase hair growth and make hair shiny and soft. It can be a lil messy, yet effective. You can put it in your hair, massage on your scalp, then wrap it and leave for an hour or overnight. Make sure you use something on your pillow to protect it from getting everywhere if you decide to leave it on over night. Then wash it out in the morning or after you have let it sit in your hair for a while.
- Black Seed Oil– This powerful oil can be used to help assist with hair growth, it can be used much like the castor oil or taken internally to help benefit your WHOLE. You can read more about black seed oil here.
Finding out what works best to help your hair grow thicker and abundantly is key. The good news is– you have lots of options. Start with one option and then see what works best for you.
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.