Have you made the switch-over to natural deodorant yet? If you have, then maybe you will discover some new products in this week’s tip. If you haven’t, then maybe you will be motivated to try a new deodorant alternative that may be healthier for your body. What do we mean by natural deodorant being healthier for your body? Let’s find out…
Conventional deodorant can be described as deodorant that you can find at your local grocery store, pharmacy, department store etc. This type of deodorant can contain some not so good ingredients in them such as:
- Aluminum Compounds: This is the component in conventional deodorant that acts as an antiperspirant (clogs the pours to prevent you from sweating). This can be undesirable for two reasons: your body is built to sweat to remove toxins, you are essentially blocking an avenue of detoxification. The other reason is that this heavy metal gets into your system and can interfere with estrogen levels and can also be considered as a Nero-toxin (toxic to the nervous system). Sounds counter active doesn’t it?
- Parabens: These compounds are used as a preservative and sometimes can act as estrogen in the system. They have also been linked to breast and prostate cancer. Yikes.
- Propylene Glycol: This chemical can be harsh on the nervous system, heart and liver (and some deodorants contain high amounts of it).
As you can see, these are ingredients that are concerning. So what are some alternatives?
Natural deodorant can be described as deodorant that contains natural ingredients (derived from food or plants), deodorant that does not contain HARSH ingredients like the ones listed above. The good news is that they will help keep you from smelling– the bad news is, they will not be the same as conventional deodorant. It may take some time to get used to natural deodorant. But, at least you will eliminate exposure to some not so healthy ingredients! Here are some options for natural deodorants:
- E.O. Organic Deodorant– This is a spray deodorant with only three ingredients– organic ethanol, purified water, and lavender oil. Great for someone that wants an organic deodorant with a pleasant scent.
- Thai Crystal Deodorant Stone– This is an age old favorite for those that want a natural way of fighting odor. It is a salt crystal that prevents odor causing microbes.
- Lavilin– This natural based deodorant will help with odor as well as reducing sweat. Also, you do not have to apply it every day. It has more ingredients than the two previously mentioned natural deodorants.
We also have natural roll-on or spray deodorants if you prefer. Try taking Chlorophyll internally if you want a natural and internal method to help deodorize your body. Chlorophyll is the green pigment from plants that helps oxygenate the body and help deodorize it internally. It can also be used as a mouthwash to help deodorizer the mouth as well! You have lots of options– you do not have to settle for harmful chemicals to help keep you from stinking!
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.
Do you want to hear more about a particular supplement or health concern? Email us at [email protected] and we will feature it in our weekly ELITE HEALTH TIP TUESDAY!