This week we will talk about the benefits of turmeric… This is a fantastic and powerful herb for inflammation in the body. We have heard great success stories with people that take turmeric daily… very rarely we hear some people say that it didn’t do anything for them. So we will pay a special focus on what you can do to help increase the effectiveness of this crazy looking root– because we believe in its power! There may be some factors of why it may have not worked the first time you tried it. If at first you don’t succeed- try, try again!
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a dark yellow-orange colored root related to the ginger family that originates from the Indian Subcontinent and South Asia. It has been widely used as a spice as well as a medicine.
Benefits of Turmeric:
- Helps improve liver function– this can be helpful for any type of skin condition. Great to use for cleansing the liver.
- Contains an abundance of antioxidants that can help boost your immune system and reduce oxidative stress.
- Can be beneficial for all things digestive related or anything bothered by inflammation in the body like arthritis or pain in general.
- Turmeric is fantastic for the brain, perhaps from it’s cleansing effects in the body– supports cognition, memory, or clarity.
Forms of Turmeric:
- Fresh root form- you can put it in your juicer, cook with it, smoothie, or tea– similar as you would use fresh ginger root.
- Powdered form– incorporate it in your cooking for a savory flavor and boost your health at the same time or add it to your daily smoothie
- Supplement form:
How to make turmeric work for you:
- Take with a fat (examples- coconut oil, a fatty meal, nut/regular milk, omega oils)
- Look for a turmeric supplement with bio-perine to help increase absorbancy (or take it with a meal that has black pepper in it)
- Some studies suggest taking up to 1,000-1,200 mg of turmeric daily to feel/see results (most supplements serving size is half this amount)
- Take turmeric daily and be patient as it assimilates in the body, benefits may not be felt or seen until after weeks or a month of taking it.
- Curcumin is the active substance in turmeric that assists in inflammation elimination.
- Turmeric was first used as a natural dye before it was known to have medicinal benefits.
- Try an Indian classic drink- Golden Milk Tea for a delicious warming turmeric elixir or try a Turmeric, Ginger and CBD tea for a tri-force of benefits.
- Pair it with bromalain, black seed oil, ginger or local honey for added benefits!
As you can see turmeric is something special, just like you!
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.