Hello friends! This week we are going to try something different, something new, something fun. We are going to talk about the seven major chakras in the body– what they are, what they do, and how you can improve the overall energy of each chakra with foods, supplements, and more! This blog is meant for thought provoking and exploratory purposes– something to consider that may seem outside of the box. Let’s dive right in…
Chakras (Sanskrit for wheel or cycle) are energetic centers that are located in the mid-line of the body along the spinal column. These energy centers are derived from eastern philosophies such as Hinduism and Buddhism. They govern the subtle body which is affected by the mind, intellect, and ego. Negative life experiences, emotions or thoughts can throw off the subtle body and chakras may become blocked or imbalanced. According to this eastern philosophy, blockages can have a negative effect on the physical or emotional body and can cause physical/emotional ailments or dis-ease. Each chakra is associated with a specific area of the body, specific organs, and specific feelings/emotions. Here is a brief summary of the seven major chakras in the body and some information on what you can do to bring them back into harmony:
1. Root Chakra (Muladhara)
The root chakra, or Muladhara, connects you with the Earth, and is linked to your basic survival needs, from nourishment to emotional and physical security.
Color Association: Red
Action: Get grounded – get out in nature, long deep breaths, deep stretching.
Mantra: I am safe. I am grounded. I am protected.
Foods: Root based foods (beets, potatoes, ginger, turmeric)
- Red Mineral Algae – This is a calcium supplement that can strengthen the bones for physical strength.
- Beet Crystals – Provides natural nitric oxide that will help stimulate blood flow to the entire body, helps boost stamina, and strength.
2. Sacral Chakra (Svadhishana)
The sacral chakra, Svadhishana, leads us up from basic existence to embrace higher levels of being and helps us tap into our creative life force energy. This chakra is all about your identity as a human and what you do with it.
Color Association: Orange
Action: Get creative – take up an art or DIY project, do something that brings you joy, laugh more, get sexy.
Mantra: I create the life I want. I am confident and courageous.
Foods: Oysters, oranges, turmeric
- Maca Root – This South American root is great for sexual vitality, virility, hormone balancing and energy.
- Turmeric – The deep orange color of this root can do wonders for overall life force energy!
3. Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)
The solar plexus chakra, Manipura, is where your self-confidence and identity are born—the seat of your personal power, if you will—and concerns “gut feelings” and intuition.
Color Association: Yellow
Action: Do something you know you are good at, spend time with friends and family that accept you as you are, smile for no reason, set small goals you know are within reach.
Mantra: I can do anything I put my mind to. I trust myself and my gut instincts.
Foods: Lemons, fermented foods (sauerkraut, yogurt, kombucha), Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vitamin D – Otherwise known as the sunshine vitamin. This vitamin has the potential to boost mood and the immune system.
- Probiotics – This is one of the best supplements for your gut (solar plexus). Probiotics will help fine tune that gut instinct and boost your immune system to help you regain your personal power back!
4. Heart Chakra (Anahata)
Your heart chakra, Anahata, is your center for love, compassion and kindness for yourself and others, and is also associated with health and healing.
Color Association: Green
Action: Spend time with people you love, put your right hand over your heart and take deep breaths, do a cardio workout, and think or write a list of all the things you love.
Mantra: I am loved. My heart is full. I have compassion for myself and others.
Food: Spinach, red wine, green tea, cherries, salmon, almonds, and any comfort food or home made meal
- Resveratrol – One of the best supplements for heart health. Great for cardiovascular support and can help reduce overall stress in the body
- Green tea – You can take this in capsule form to prevent oxidative stress in the heart and body as well as improve blood flow. Try it in tea form and drink it slow with a friend to help foster compassion and connection.
5. Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)
Vishuddha, the throat chakra, provides a voice for honest expression. On a physical level, it’s the throat, but on an energetic level, this chakra allows you to speak your deepest truth with clarity and conviction.
Color Association: Blue
Action: Speak your truth, do slow neck rolls with deep breaths, journal the things that you have been holding inside, share something that has been bothering you with someone you trust.
Mantra: I speak my truth. I trust that everything will be okay.
Foods: Seaweed, Apple juice, honey, and tea
- Kelp/Iodine – This is a fantastic supplement for the thyroid that is located in the throat. It can also be beneficial for mental clarity which will help you to speak your truth clearly.
- Spirulina – This deep blue-green algae naturally contains iodine (great for the thyroid) as well other minerals and vitamins that will provide mental clarity as well as vitality!
6. Third Eye Chakra (Anja)
The sixth chakra, referred to as the Third Eye, is Anja, which translates to “beyond wisdom.” This chakra opens your mind to information beyond the material world and the five senses; you might think of it as your sixth sense.
Color Association: Indigo/Light Purple
Action: Meditate, take slow deep breaths, go out in nature, do yoga, get a good night’s sleep, write down your dreams, go to an interactive museum.
Mantra: I have an inner wisdom that guides me to make healthy decisions. I can see beauty within me and all around me.
Food: Blueberries, eggplants, purple yams, and grapes
- Bilberry – This is an eye supplement that can help improve eyesight and eye health. Strengthen your eyesight so that you can strengthen your third eye!
- Fulvic Minerals – When you provide your body with essential minerals your nervous system will perform at its best — which will relax the body and produce a healthy environment for inner wisdom and intuition.
7. Crown Chakra (Sahaswara)
Your crown chakra, Sahaswara, is pure consciousness energy, and connects you to the entire universe. Achieving a balanced crown chakra will help to align all the rest and is the goal of every spiritual warrior. It’s similar to the Buddhist concept of achieving Nirvana. We derive happiness, good health and wisdom from the journey of seeking this balance.
Color Association: White/Gold
Action: Meditate, take up a spiritual practice, create a morning ritual, listen to classical music, say a prayer, imagine a white light entering your body from the top of your head, down through your body, all the way to your toes and into the ground.
Mantra: I am one with the universe. I am supported and aligned with my truest self.
Food: Fasting (foregoing food for a short period of time), golden beets, brazil nuts.
- Omega 3/Omega 6/Omega 9 – Omegas are one of the best supplements for brain health and can be beneficial for the WHOLE body.
- CBD oil – This hemp derived oil can be great for the brain, nervous system, and the immune system. This is why CBD oil can be a good supplement for the crown chakra– it has the ability to balance the WHOLE body as well.
One of the best ways to balance ALL the chakras is through meditation. If you are not sure how to meditate and need assistance there are plenty of guided meditations that are available on You Tube. We hope you learned something fun and new about the natural energy field of your body.
As always, do what you feel is best for YOUR body– if you aren’t sure, ask your doctor. We are health ENTHUSIASTS not licensed practitioners.